Do you want to know how to piss your designer off? Here’s a few of the more nail-on-a-chalkboard worthy offenses. And, trust me, it’s not a client versus designer type of thing. Nor is it the stereo-typical designers are bitches. Quite simply, it comes down to common courtesy.
* If you’re asked if you have a budget, please answer honestly. Nothing urks us more than when we design for X ,and yet when we provide X, you say your internal budget is really Y – which is half of X. WTF?
* Refrain from changing your mind after you’ve made a FINAL decision because one of your friends didn’t like the fabric’s texture. Come on, put your big girl panties on, it’s your place NOT theirs.
* If you have a spouse or a significant other, PLEASE communicate with them about what is important to each of you. Honestly, grow some balls. Backtracking to make a whiner happy at the end is NO picnic.
* Give and take works wonders for relationships. Do you really NEED to control everything? They should be able to choose their own paint color for their personal space. If you don’t like it, stay out!
* When meetings have been arranged with multiple parties around YOUR schedule, have the courtesy to show up. Canceling because Saks is having a sale isn’t going to earn you favors from the builder or architect, and most certainly NOT your designer.
* Don’t ask for our help, then tell us that you don’t have any money, and expect us to work for free. We are NOT blind, nor stupid. We saw the Bentley you drive and we’re familiar with the multi-million dollar homes in your neighborhood.
* If the allowance your husband provides you per month isn’t enough to meet all of your wishes, do us a favor, SAVE up. I know it may be a little old-fashioned, but banks do still have savings accounts. And, NO, we’re not interested in your used designer fashions as a barter.
Okay. Rant over. Thankfully, tomorrow is another day!